Do You Like Rice?
I have to confess. I love it. Even though it is considered a staple food, I can eat rice everyday. I buy it by the ten pound bag. I would buy it in fifty pound bags if I could. In China, people eat rice in the same manner as we here in the USA eat bread. They practically eat it with every meal. Have you ever seen a Chinese person who is overweight?
5 Thinks I Like About Rice
- First and foremost, rice is nutritious. If you are ever concerned with eating good quality food, you will never go wrong with rice.
- Rice is very healthy. Several years ago, one of the human interest shows on TV did a story of a Chinese man who was 105 years old. When asked what he had eaten over the years to stay healthy, he stated that he only ate rice, chicken and fish. I would imagine he ate other good foods occasionally to break the monotony, but this was his primary diet.
- Rice is very versatile. Until I developed my passion for rice, about four years ago, I did not realize this. I always thought of rice as something served as a side item, with chicken, or, as they serve it in New Orleans every Monday, with red beans. I did not realize that there are so many things you can do with rice. Allow me to give you some examples that, hopefully, you will try. Rice is excellent with melted butter. If you want something fast, this is an excellent choice. Another way I enjoy rice is with a little barbecue sauce mixed in. I don’t use a whole lot. I use just enough to bring out the flavor in the rice. Another way I prepare rice is one of my favorites. I season it with a little salt and pepper, parsley, and then I sprinkle a little balsamic vinegar in it, and mix it all together. If you try this, don’t use plain vinegar. Use balsamic vinegar. It make a difference. Have you ever thought of having sweet rice. At first, I thought this was off the wall. Then I tried it, and let me tell you, it was delicious. After the rice is cooked, and is still hot, I season it with butter or margarine, and let it melt. Then I sprinkle sugar and cinnamon in it, and mix it up. This way of preparing rice tasted especially good if you have it with a fruit salad. Finally, there is fried rice. When preparing rice this way, just about anything goes. You can fry it with chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, or whatever your taste buds require. Naturally, you want to add a few vegetables, such as, English peas and shredded carrots. Throw a few pieces of lettuce in. Your imagination is endless. Fried rice is also referred to, by many people, as dirty rice. Of course, real dirty rice is fried with chicken livers. I thought this was crazy, until I tried it. If you have developed a taste for chicken livers, try it. It is delicious. These are just a few of the variations with rice. There are many others, which I will find out about, and try, and naturally, tell you about it.
- Another reason I love rice is, it just plain tastes good. Whether it is Uncle Ben’s, Zatarain’s, or the generic rice you buy in the grocery store, it does not matter. It all tastes good.
- Finally, I love rice because it is a food that is always a good choice, especially when you don’t know exactly what you have a taste for. At dinner time, if I don’t know exactly what I am going to prepare, rice always comes to the rescue. The only decision remains with how I am going to prepare it.
Rice is delicious. However, sometimes it does not come out the way you want it to. Famous rices, like Uncle Ben’s and Zatarain’s will come out perfect every time. You don’t even have to wash them before cooking. Now, I do like the taste of these famous rices. In fact, they are two of the best. As I said earlier, I buy rice in large quantities. These name brands can be very expensive. Sometimes, I just want the plain, generic rice. In this case, I wash the rice with water at least twice before boiling. When I boil the rice, I make sure there is plenty of water in the pot, so the rice will not get too dry. When it is done, I just strain it with a colander or a tea strainer, and it almost always comes out the way I like it.
Many expert chefs who prepare the perfect rice every time have been doing it for years. Cooking rice is a skill, and an art. And of course, I said in a previous post that a chef is an artist. The more you do it, the easier it is to do.
As a final note, if you want to really enjoy rice, and not have to worry about it coming out perfect, an alternative is to buy the boiling bags of rice. This rice always cooks to perfection.
I hope you will try some of these variations with rice that I have introduced to you. If you love rice the way I do, eat plenty of it. If you do, you will have a higher chance of remaining healthy.
Thank you for spending this time with us. And remember, every time you sit at the table,
Enjoy Your Food !